CALL FOR ABSTRACTS (deadline for abstracts is February 5, 2020)
The Society for Ethnomusicology Disability and Deaf Studies Special Interest Group and the Sound Studies Special Interest Group invite members to submit abstracts to be selected for a panel proposal for the SEM 65th Annual Meeting on October 22-25, 2020 in Ottawa, Canada. This year, our two Special Interest Groups will be collaborating to sponsor a panel on topics that combine, intersect, and resonate between these two areas of study. We welcome scholars who conduct research in these areas as well as those who identify as belonging to either Deaf or disabled communities to share their insights and experiences.
We seek papers that engage with topics of Sound Studies and Disability and Deaf Studies including, but not limited to, the following:
· The intersections of Sound Studies with Disability and Deaf Studies
· Methodological resonances between the study of sound and the study of disability and D/deafness
· Sonic representations of invisible disabilities, chronic illness, and mental health
· The place of sound in histories of disability
· Performance of disability and Deaf identities in popular culture including film, television, theater, and the media
· Disability as metaphor in discussions of sound and aurality
· Politics and political histories of disability and sound
· Links among pathology, disability, and sound, including within discussions of eugenics treatments.
We are soliciting proposals for twenty-minute presentations from scholars active in all music disciplines as well as from scholars in related fields, aiming to maximize the theoretical and methodological breadth of the discussion.
Please submit abstracts of 200 to 250 words to both DDStudiesSEM@gmail.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by February 5, 2020. Please include your name and contact information in your e-mail only, and attach the abstract as a Word or PDF file, since the committee will be selecting papers anonymously. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by end of day on February 10, 2020.